Facts about Neuroblastoma
- Neuroblastoma is a common and often difficult to treat cancer, the most common cancer in infancy.
- In the United States, about 600 children are diagnosed with neuroblastoma each year.
- It is the most common tumor found in children younger than 1 year of age.
- Neuroblastoma is the most common extra cranial solid tumor cancer in children.
- Every 16 hours a child with neuroblastoma dies.
- There is no known cure for relapsed neuroblastoma.
- Nearly 70% of those children first diagnosed with neuroblastoma have disease that has already metastasized or spread to other parts of the body.
- When disease has spread at diagnosis and a child is over the age of 2, there is less than a 30% chance of survival.